This is an exact copy of my Instagram post from last night when I made one of my favorite kitchen creations, Hot Italian Sausage Cauliflower “Mac” & Cheese. The recipe is below but feel free to make edits of course – change up the sausage flavor, add garlic, crush some pork rinds and make a “crumb” topping – the mockafoni world is your oyster 😉
Recipe time! This is what I lovingly call my “Cauliflower Mac & Cheese” even though most people then say, “but there’s no mac…”
Simple and delicious:
1 lb sausage (I used @hatfieldmeats Hot Italian)
1 12 oz. bag steamable frozen cauliflower
4 oz. (half a brick) cream cheese
4 oz. each of two other cheeses (this is mozzarella and Colby jack)
2 tbsp heavy cream
1. Preheat the oven to 400
2. Cook the sausage, drain the excess fat. At the same time, cook the cauliflower according to the directions (I use the microwave, because IDWIW)
3. Stir the cream cheese into the sausage until it’s thoroughly melted
4. Drain the water from the cauliflower (the bag is HOT. For the love of your hands, be careful or, better yet, pour it in a bowl and use a lid to drain it)
5. Mix the sausage/cream cheese mix, cauliflower, additional cheeses, and heavy cream together and put them in a 9×9 casserole dish
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until you either a) can’t wait any longer or b) are satisfied with how bangin’ your kitchen smells
7. Eat it!
I used a bit more cheese than my recipe because there wasn’t much left in the bag, so this came in at just over 500 calories for me, but with only 4 servings. YMMV.
Let me know how you like this recipe and what (if any) edits you made!